- The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
2003 prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual
and sexual misconduct in correctional
- Pursuant to the PREA and Georgia
criminal laws, the Georgia Department
is committed to protecting offenders in
its custody from sexual contact or sexual
- The Department has zero tolerance for sexual contact or sexual misconduct.
- Offenders who have nonconsensual sexual contact
with another offender will be strongly disciplined and referred
for criminal prosecution.
- Employees who engage in sexual contact or sexual misconduct with
offenders will be terminated from employment and referred for criminal
prosecution when applicable.
Employee Awareness and Education
- All employees will receive training about the federal law, state
law, and departmental policy governing sexual contact with offenders.
employees will receive annual training concerning
their duty to report rumors or allegations of
sexual assault or sexual misconduct, to whom they should report,
how they should report, and when they should
report such incidents.
- All employees will receive
training about how to detect an unreported
incident of sexual assault.
- Vendors, contractors,
volunteers, and visitors authorized to have
contact with offenders must read the Department’s zero-tolerance policy
statement and sign to indicate agreement to abide
by its terms.
Offender Awareness & Training
- Offenders will receive written notice and training on how to avoid
becoming a target for sexual assault.
will receive notice in the Offender Handbook
that sexual contact is strictly prohibited and
punishable by disciplinary action
and criminal prosecution.
- Offenders will receive
training on what to do if they have become
a victim of sexual assault, including the various
reporting methods and
how to preserve physical evidence.
- The Department
will implement a toll-free 800 number to allow
offenders to report incidents of sexual assault or sexual misconduct
Departmental Response to Sexual Assault or Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Employees have a duty to report all rumors and allegations of sexual
assault and sexual misconduct through the chain
- Local Sexual Assault Response Teams (S.A.R.T.) will ensure
alleged victims of sexual assault receive immediate
- The local S.A.R.T. will also
ensure alleged victims of sexual assault or
sexual misconduct receive a mental health evaluation.
allegations of sexual assault will be reported
to Internal Investigations for investigation.
Investigation of Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct
- The Department is dedicated to producing quality investigations
of alleged sexual assaults and sexual misconduct incidents.
- All investigators
will receive specialized training specific
to sexual assaults in correctional institutions.
Investigations, in consultation with the Department’s
Legal Office, will aggressively refer substantiated cases of sexual
assault by offenders or employees to the local district attorney’s
office for criminal prosecution and will cooperate
in whatever manner necessary to ensure such cases are prosecuted.
Offender Classification and Housing
- The GDC is committed to providing safe environments for offenders
in its custody.
- All offenders will receive a comprehensive evaluation
intake to identify risk factors associated with
- Classification of victims or
perpetrators of sexual assault or sexual misconduct
will be closely monitored and all movements will be coordinated
across departments to prevent repeated incidents.
PREA Coordinator and Data Collection
- The Department has dedicated a full-time position as a PREA Coordinator
to, among other things, serve as the agency’s point of contact
regarding all PREA related matters, provide consultation and guidance
to facilities’ staff with respect to PREA implementation and
monitoring, as well as provide oversight of
PREA training to staff.
- The PREA Coordinator will analyze reported
data and keep prison officials briefed on
developing trends, lessons learned, and best practices for
detection and prevention of sexual assault and
sexual misconduct incidents.