1) On Thursday, December 1, 2011, Tiffany Berry and Paul Miles were arrested by the Tattnall County Sheriff’s Department. During a routine traffic stop, the two told authorities they planned to drop off contraband near Rogers State Prison in Reidsville. Authorities searched their vehicle and found 33 grams of marijuana, tobacco, 12 packs of rolling papers and black tape.
2) On Saturday, December 3, 2011, Officer Johnny Wright was arrested by the Butts County Sheriff’s Department at Georgia Diagnostics and Classification Prison in Jackson. Wright was searched and cigarettes and cigars were found hidden in his uniform.
3) On Saturday, December 3, 2011, Johnny Brown was arrested by the Chattooga County Sheriffs’ Department. Brown threw a package containing 23 packs of tobacco and eight cell phones across a fence at Hays State Prison in Trion.
4) On Sunday, December 4, 2011, Alfred Murphy was arrested by the Lowndes County Sheriff’s Department at Valdosta State Prison in Valdosta. Murphy was visiting an inmate at the facility when officers saw him place five packages containing marijuana near a microwave. Murphy is currently serving probation.
5) On Sunday, December 4, 2011, Melonie Rusk was arrested by the Wilcox County Sheriff’s Department. She admitted to leaving eight bags of tobacco in an area to be picked up by an inmate work detail from Wilcox State Prison in Abbeville.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.