Why is assessment important to Risk Reduction Services?
- Assessment provides objective and empirically validated evaluations of an offender's
risk and needs.
- Assessment assists in decision-making processes regarding placement, supervision, and case
- Addressing the offender’s risk/needs and matching the offender to the identified
level of services are linked to changing offender behavior, appropriate use of resources and
- High risk/need offenders respond better to intensive and comprehensive services, while
low risk offenders respond better to minimal or no intervention.
What are the current initiatives to provide risk/needs
The COMPAS (Correctional Offender Management
Profiling for Alternative Sanctions) assessment
instrument has been implemented to assist in
program needs identification.
What is COMPAS?
- A computerized database and analysis system
for criminal justice practitioners who make decisions
regarding the placement, supervision and case-management
- Assesses four different but critical risks for use in offender management.
- Flight/Failure to Appear
- Community Non-Compliance (Technical Violations)
- Includes comprehensive coverage of criminogenic risk/needs factors.
- Provides validity tests to detect inconsistencies in offender responses.
For More Information Contact:
Robert Kiedinger, Data, Evaluation, Assessment & Research Manager
Operations, Planning & Training Division
P.O. Box 1529
Forsyth, GA 31029