Georgia Department of Corrections
(Updated version December, 2012)
The Department of Corrections creates a safer Georgia by effectively managing offenders and providing opportunities for positive change.
The Georgia Department of Corrections is the best corrections system in the nation
at protecting citizens from convicted offenders and at providing effective
opportunities for offenders to achieve positive change. We are a leader and
partner in making Georgia a safer, healthier, better educated, growing, and
best managed state.
We accomplish this by:
- Ensuring public safety
- Operating safe and secure facilities
- Providing effective community supervision
- Creating opportunities for restoration
- Ensuring the rights of victims
- Partnering with public, private, and
- Sustaining core values of Loyalty, Duty,
- Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal
- Ensuring the well being of employees
and their families
- Loyalty - Bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitutions of the United States and the State
of Georgia, the GDC, and other employees.
- Duty - Fulfill your obligations.
- Respect - Treat people as they should be treated.
- Selfless Service - Put the welfare of the
Public, the GDC, and other employees before your own.
- Honor - Live up to all the GDC values.
- Integrity - Do what's right--legally and morally.
- Personal Courage - Face fear, danger,
or adversity (physical or moral).